Monday 14 April 2008

Week 8 - Task 3 - website 3

For my third website I found another blog style post about digital immigration.

This was quite a fancy website. I liked it. The hyperlinks were easy to follow and as I found in the first website I looked at, there were hyperlinks embedded within the actual text itself which linked to sites and articles which would back up what the writer of the blog was saying. Overall, in my opinion, the usability of this website was easy, straight forward and effective.

What I also liked about this blog was that the writer of it has a few published books out about blogging and culture. Which therefore leads me to believe that the writer of the blog has good understanding of the world of new media cultures and therefore the site is a good one to look at for people like us doing a unit of new media cultures.

Within the blog itself he discusses how he is uncomfortable with the labelling 'digital native' and also 'digital immigrant' because he feels this labelling exaggerates a gap between adults and youth. He feels that this gap isn't good because it creates the picture that adults are helpless with new technology and that youth today are no longer influenced by adults as such and that youth just see adults as naggy and having nothing useful to say of interest. I found this interesting because in some respects this is how I feel sometimes when my gran starts chatting about some stuff that I just don't really think has much relevance to me personally and my lifestyle and yet she is clueless to why we all have things like blogs instead of diary's etc. There is a major divide in some respects, but maybe we, as the youth, shouldn't have such a negative view point of the older generations and their views to technology.

No comments: