Tuesday 15 April 2008

Should education stretch a person?

I think that education does stretch a person whether or not people want it too. Its not an option really because no matter what, education is there for the purpose of stretching somebodies mind. Without education, people will learn things if they want too and take their own time reading and learning things, but, with education, it is compulsory for numerous years of your youth and therefore you are made to learn stuff and your mind becomes stretched.
If people aren't stretched within education then what is the actual purpose of education? It would just be a waste of time if this was the case as people would not realise their true ability.

However, I do believe that it doesn't always take a teacher or a lecturer to stretch somebodies mind, it can be done by the individual themselves if they are motivated enough to do so. Personally I'd find it very hard to motivate myself into stretching my own mind because I would get far to distracted.
Although I've said that I believe people can stretch their own minds, I do feel that although this is possible, it would take people to understand the education system and education in general for this to be accomplished because you wouldn't, as a young child, be able to understand education and learning if your mind hadn't been stretched to do so in the first place.

No comments: