Tuesday 12 February 2008

Goebbels on radio - task 2a - week1 study guide

Ok so I haven't done a blog for a while now..eeek. so I better get cracking again lol.

I found the Goebbels reading quite interesting. For Goebbels the radio was there to keep the masses up to date with the current situations happening with the war and other essentail developments but it was also used as a way of influencing the German population of the thoughts and beliefs of Goebbels Nazi government in the form of propaganda.
In my opinion, this was a good method of using the radio because the radio in those days was a good way and better way of contacting the masses. However, in my opinion, in this current day, television is probably a lot more powerful at contacting the masses than the radio as the majority of the population are probably more likely to turn on the television for important news than tune into the radio. Am I right? Is this a common shared view? I know I watch the television a lot more than I watch the radio anyway lol.
The only major thing in this current day that radio is 'good for' is for entertainment whilst travelling about in cars etc. This is the main time that I listen to the radio anyway because I cant watch the television but I want something to keep me entertained whilst im on the move. Do other people listen to the radio more than I do?

Emily x

1 comment:

Sue Frith Grau said...

I think you might want to look at some statistics about radio usage. Radio stations pop up with a greater regularity than TV stations - look at how many local BBC radio stations there are. Why do you think this might be if people only listen to the radio in their cars? I heard somewhere (forgive the vagueness) that children are not consuming TV in the amount that they used to - hence the dropping of Grange Hill and Byker Grove from the schedule.

I listen to the radio for the news specifically and for current debate programmes